Thursday, June 21, 2012

Jeffeweizen 2012

Every summer, since the first time I ever homebrewed, I've made a hefeweizen of some sort.  Not only was it a style that drew me in to craft beer, but it's a style that still amazes me when I have a great one.  It also helps that they are quick and easy to brew.  The recipe is another really simple one, so while it doesn't make for a particularly interesting blog post, it is a yearly ritual so I feel like I need to make a log of it.

The one notable recipe decision is the choice of Wyeast 3068.  This yeast strain is the same one used by Weihenstephaner for their hefeweizen, and is my favorite.  The yeast strain, pitching rate, and fermentation temperature are all huge factors in what determines the difference between hefeweizens.  Some brewers like to accentuate yeast character by underpitching and fermenting above 70 degrees, but I chose for a more balanced approach of a regular pitching rate and a fermentation temperature just below 70.  I feel like this gives a balanced yeast character while still incorporating all of the complexities.  Here's the recipe, which was brewed last Wednesday:

Recipe:

(5 gallons, 1.045 O.G.)

Malt:

5# Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner (50%)
5# Wheat (50%)

Mash:

Single Infusion, 151 degrees for 30 minutes.

Hops:

.75 oz. Hallertau Mittlefruh at 90 minutes (13 IBU's)

Yeast:

Wyeast 3068, Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen. Ambient temperature 65 degrees. Primary for 10 days, then keg.



Recirculated first runnings.  Exaggerated cloudiness from what the final product will look like.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Bristol, CT, United States